Sharlene Coe described the Rotorua community's support as "humbling" after losing everything she owned in a house fire.
Ms Coe was forced to climb out her bedroom window two weeks ago as flames enveloped her rental house on Roosevelt Rd.
She did not have contents insurance and lost everything including her dog Hulk.
Following the tragedy, she and her teenage son have been helped into a three-bedroom home and given everything they need to get back on their feet.
"At first it is like traumatic shock and then all these nice things start happening to you and you think - how do I deal with this?" Ms Coe said.
"It has been very humbling. It's just been overwhelming really."
In all, she estimated she had been given support and donations from about 30 people in Rotorua.
She said a special thank you to Rotorua's Tiny Deane who was like her "fairy god poppa", collecting and organising all the donations and giving furniture of his own.
Ms Coe said "a lovely couple" in Rotorua offered her their furnished three-bedroom home for six months while she waits for her old rental to be restored.
Other donations include enough furniture and bedding to fill a house from Superfurn Furniture, storage for six months from Antony Plowman, $1000 from another Rotorua resident and a six-hour makeover from Lily's Hair And Beauty Salon.
Many other donations were also given.
Mr Deane said four people at the Rotorua Golf Course had also pledged to give enough money to buy anything else Ms Coe needed, when she moves into her old rental in six months.
Mr Deane said when he heard about what happened he was ready to do everything he could to help.
"When you hear something like this has happened you think well they might still have clothes and a few things but she had nothing," he said.
"When someone turns up on your doorstep and they have lost everything you just want to help."
Ms Coe, who cancelled her contents insurance only a short time before the fire, urged others on the benefit to consider insurance as an absolute necessity rather than a luxury.
Rotorua Fire Brigade specialist fire investigator Stuart Bootten said the March 8 fire was accidental.