Man charged after baby suffers injuries

By Katie Holland


A Rotorua man has been charged with assault after a 9-month-old boy was seriously injured in the city two weeks ago.


A police spokeswoman confirmed a 21-year-old man had been arrested and will appear in the Rotorua District Court on Monday. She said the police investigation was ongoing.

The spokeswoman said about 6.15pm on December 28 an ambulance was called to a Korimako St house in Selwyn Heights after a family member went to a neighbour for help.

The child, who was in the care of extended family at the time, had suffered serious injuries, including head injuries.

He was flown to  Starship Hospital but has now returned to Rotorua Hospital where he is in a stable condition.

He is expected to be released from hospital this week and will be placed in interim care.

 

- ROTORUA DAILY POST

© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on red akl_a5 at 31 Jul 2014 19:25:06 Processing Time: 327ms