More cases of shellfish poisoning

Two more people have been hospitalised after eating toxic shellfish from Mount Maunganui and Papamoa coastlines.

A 60-year-old Tauranga man and a 42-year-old Tauranga woman arrived at Tauranga Hospital yesterday.

Today they are both in the hospital's intensive care unit in a serious but stable condition.

On Saturday, a 57-year-old Mount Maunganui man was admitted to hospital. How is still with us in a ward and is in a stable condition.

A 39-year-old Mount Maunganui woman was treated and discharged on Saturday.

Five others who had eaten shellfish from the area presented themselves at Rotorua Hospital at the weekend.

A health warning is already in place advising against the collection of shellfish from Tairua on the east coast of the Coromandel Peninsula, south to Waihi Beach and along the Bay of Plenty coast to Whakatane Heads in the Eastern Bay of Plenty.

- Rotorua Daily Post

© Copyright 2015, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf04 at 07 Oct 2015 15:36:01 Processing Time: 320ms