KFC in Rotorua's central city is set to be pulled down and rebuilt.
KFC owner Restaurant Brands has applied for resource consent to redevelop the existing Amohau St restaurant and drive-through site, making it bigger and more accessible.
Rotorua District Council resource-consents team leader Portia McKenzie said the application received this week called for the demolition of the existing building, and redevelopment of a 258sq m single-storey building and drive-through takeaway access.
A building alongside, on the left-hand side of the site, would also be removed.
The new redevelopment included a 50-seat restaurant, space for 24 car parks, and drive-through capability for a 13-vehicle queue.
The existing operation would be closed for three-and-a-half weeks during initial construction.
Mrs McKenzie said a decision whether to publicly notify the application would be made by the council within 10 working days.
If the application was not publicly notified for wider consultation, consent would be granted under delegated authority by the council within 20 working days, she said.
Meanwhile, two submissions from seven received at the council opposing the use of a new building at the Redwoods Centre will be heard by the council on Tuesday.
Consent to construct the 440sq m building for "convenience retailing" had been granted in spite of opposition to it being used by Rabobank and a separate finance facility.
Mrs McKenzie said opposing submissions focused on traffic and street signage.