A new home in Christchurch and a renovation in Wellington have been recognised as New Zealand's top properties, winning Supreme Awards at the Registered Master Builders 2013 House of the Year Awards.
Winners were announced at a black tie gala dinner at the Langham Hotel in Auckland last night.
View a gallery of the winners:
Phil Benton Builders was awarded the title of the Supreme Award for the construction of a home in Christchurch. The home also won the Westpac New Homes over $2 million category.
Competition judges said the home demonstrated an incredibly high level of accuracy throughout.
"With a cleverly constructed in situ concrete wall positioned between the living and sleeping spaces as its backbone, the design successfully incorporates a mixture of concrete, tiles and marble,'' the judges said.
"This is a beautiful home, created by an exceptional builder, which wears this award very well indeed.''
Wilson Building (Wgtn) Limited's four bedroom renovation in Wellington's Mt Victoria, took the Renovation of the Year award.
The judges said the renovation was made even more of a success given the level of difficulty and challenges that arose during the build.
The home also won the Future-Proof Building Renovation Award over $500,000.
"A large amount of structural work was required, including undermining, underpinning and tunnelling under the building - further complicated by the proximity of the neighbouring properties,'' the judges said.
"Where possible original features have been restored and retained, as well as adding custom-made window sills, colonial skirting and architraves.
Registered Master Builders Federation chief executive Warwick Quinn said he was thrilled to celebrate the achievements of the winning builders in the House of the Year.
"Our members strive towards building excellence, and take huge pride in bringing people's aspirations to life through the construction of their clients' dream homes.''
The Gold Reserve National Finalists were selected from 11 regional competitions held throughout New Zealand during July and August.
• Supreme Award for House of the Year: Phil Benton Builders for a home in Merivale, Christchurch
• Supreme Award for Renovation of the Year: Wilson Building (Wgtn) Limited for a home in Mt Victoria, Wellington
• WG de Gruchy Construction Ltd for a home Herne Bay, Auckland
• Renovation Award up to $250,000: Brockie Renovations Limited for a renovation in Mapua, Nelson
• ITM Renovation Award $250,000 - $500,000: Todd Grey Builders Ltd for a renovation in Royal Palm Beach, Tauranga
• Future-Proof Building Renovation Award over $500,000: Wilson Building (Wgtn) Limited for a renovation in Mt Victoria, Wellington
• Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employment New Homes under $250,000: JD Homes Limited for a home in Rolleston, Christchurch
• PlaceMakers New Homes $250,000 - $350,000: J Lewis Building Ltd for a home in Kaiteriteri
• PlaceMakers New Homes $350,000 - $450,000: Terry Clegg Builders Limited for a home in New Plymouth
• James Hardie New Homes $450,000 - $600,000: Inhaus Developments Limited for a home in Split Apple Rock, Nelson
• Nulook New Homes $600,000 - $1 million: Haimes Building Limited for a home in Taupo
• Carters New Homes $1 million - $2 million: Clive Barrington Construction Limited for a home in Governors Bay, Christchurch
• Westpac New Homes over $2 million: Phil Benton Builders for a home in Merivale, Christchurch
• Builders Own Home Award: van Baarle Construction for a home in Lower Hutt
• GIB Show Home Award: H D Building Limited for a home in Albany, Auckland
• Outdoor Living Award: Lindesay Construction Limited for a home in St Mary's Bay, Auckland
• Heart of the Home Kitchen Award: Stewart Hanna Limited for a home in Hamilton
• Plumbing World Bathroom Excellence Award: Clive Barrington Construction Limited for a home in Sumner, Christchurch
• Resene Sustainable Home Award: Shaw Builders Limited for a home in Te Puke