125g unsalted butter, softened
½ cup caster sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1½ cups plain flour, sifted
White sugar, for sprinkling
1. Place the butter and sugar in an electric mixer and beat for 8-10 minutes or until pale and creamy.
2. Add the egg and vanilla and beat for 2-3 minutes or until well combined.
3. Add the flour and beat until a smooth dough forms.
4. Roll the dough out between 2 sheets of non-stick baking paper to 4mm-thick and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm.
5. Preheat oven to 160°C. Use Christmas cookie cutters to cut shapes from the dough and place on lightly greased trays lined with non-stick baking paper.
6. Sprinkle with the sugar and bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden.
7. Cool on trays for 5 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.