Kirsty Wynn

Kirsty Wynn is a senior reporter at the Herald on Sunday.

Block home up for grabs

Happy accounting owners now looking for bigger commercial site.

The Takapuna house renovated on the Block is up for sale again. Photo / Greg Bowker
The Takapuna house renovated on the Block is up for sale again. Photo / Greg Bowker

The winning house from the first series of The Block is up for grabs again.

The Takapuna house — rebuilt by brother and sister Ben and Libby Crawford on the hit TV3 show — will be auctioned on August 21.

Ben Crawford said the buyer of 78 Anzac St would get a bargain with all the "bells and whistles" in the three-bedroom home.

"There is double glazing, full insulation, heat pumps, top-of-the-line Fisher and Paykel appliances and solar panels. The house has some amazing features," he said.

The rapid renovation on the eight-week show had not affected the quality. "The houses were open to so much scrutiny so they really are built to a high standard. We were up all night perfecting everything so I know how great the house is."

Bayleys agent Victoria Bidwell said being "a Block house" didn't add dollars to the sale price but publicity ensured more people were aware the house was on the market.

There had already been a lot of interest from families and those wanting to run a small business from the house.

Current owners Stewart and Lisa Hampton run their accounting business from the house but are looking for a larger, commercial space. The couple bought the house at a televised auction for $961,000 - $157,000 above council valuation.

"We have loved living here. It is close to cafes, the beach, the supermarket and everything," Lisa Hampton said. Only small cosmetic changes such as artwork, kitchen lights and installing automatic security gates had been made.

Last week the Belmont house renovated by Alice and Caleb Pearson in the second series of The Block, sold for $1.2million - $75,000 more than the purchase price six months ago.

Meanwhile, filming has started for the third series of the show in Pt Chevalier.

Auckland Council confirmed it had received "numerous complaints about development and filming" at the site, most about traffic. Formal action was taken three times and two infringement notices and one abatement notice were issued.

The latest series is expected to begin screening within weeks.

- Herald on Sunday

© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf05 at 20 Dec 2014 04:25:55 Processing Time: 354ms