Breaking all road rules in big smoke
Darryn writes: "We took a trip to Auckland so the country kids could go to see the band Fun in concert. Driving along the Southern Motorway at the start of rush hour imagine my surprise when I am cut off by a well-known driver education company in a logo-covered car merging on to the motorway at Takanini without any indicating. All was revealed when the driver is then spotted texting and shortly afterwards talking on his mobile phone. All this while blasting along in the fast lane at an easy 100km/h plus. We decided that it must be part of the driver training for life in the big city."
Words of wisdom from TradeMe
Wisdom from the TradeMe message boards is being collected by an unofficial Twitter account (@Trade Me - txt).
1. "Did you know that 1930 was the warmest decade in the US? Until the 'climate scientists' got their hands on it, that is."
2. "Next they'll pass a law saying it's OK for the weirdos to be able to sleep with their sister or their mother #marriageequality."
3. "Maybe scrap benefits and then the taxpayers can have decent public toilets. There's a lot of people on benefits think the world owes them."
4. "For goodness sake, we're having to import immigrants to keep the population up as it is."
Dressing up for big occasion
Lois Leece, of Glendene, writes: "One of my 8-year-old twin grand-daughters with very definite ideas cannot, with any amount of persuasion or cajoling, be convinced to wear a dress. She did, however, say to her mother the other day: 'Mum, I'm going to make Grandma very happy, I'm going to wear a dress to her funeral!' I might add I am a sprightly 71-year-old often to be found boogie boarding at Karekare beach with numerous grandchildren."
Politics: Our PM on boat people ...
Picture this #1: A grown man re-enacts a whole lot of baby photos...
Picture this #2: Kids from around the world photographed with their favourite things.
Video: Never work with dogs and toddlers...
* Got a Sideswipe? Send your pictures, links and anecdotes to Ana at here