Kapiti councillor barred from council buildings while facing indecent assault charge

By Melissa Nightingale

Kapiti Coast District councillor David Scott arriving at the Porirua District Court this morning. Photo/Mark Mitchell
Kapiti Coast District councillor David Scott arriving at the Porirua District Court this morning. Photo/Mark Mitchell

A Kapiti councillor is barred from entering council buildings after allegations he pressed himself against a female staff member last month.

He is also not allowed to associate with witnesses in the case, including Mayor K Gurunathan, except for work purposes.

David John Scott, 70, is accused of coming up behind a council manager while she was speaking to the mayor and pressing his body against her on April 13.

He has previously denied the allegations.

Scott appeared before Judge James Johnston in the Porirua District Court this morning facing one charge of indecent assault, and was remanded to June 16.

Part of his bail conditions included that he was not allowed to be found at the Kapiti District Council address in Paraparaumu.

The mayor will be a witness in the case, lawyer Peter Foster said.

Foster also argued particular bail conditions, saying it would make it difficult for Scott to do his job if he had orders not to associate with certain people.

Judge Johnston said Scott could associate with the witnesses for business purposes only and could not discuss the case with them.

He may be able to attend council meetings electronically.

No pleas have been entered, but Foster said Scott would be pleading not guilty.

A supporter wept in court as a friend comforted her.

Outside the court, Scott declined to comment.

- NZ Herald

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf05 at 26 May 2017 13:54:20 Processing Time: 823ms