The region-wide state of emergency in the Bay of Plenty has been lifted, but is still in place for the Whakatane district.
Bay of Plenty Civil Defence lifted the state of emergency at midday.
Whakatane Mayor Tony Bonne declared a local state of emergency for Whakatane to enable the continued response to Edgecumbe and the surrounding areas.
Bay of Plenty Civil Defence group controller Clinton Naude said although the region certainly felt the impact of Cyclone Cook, based on this morning's assessments it had been fortunate.
"This was an unprecedented event, especially following so closely behind ex-Cyclone Debbie. We want to recognise and thank all those local coastal communities who followed advice and self-evacuated," Bonne said.
"It is now safe for them to return home. From what we've heard there has been a fantastic community spirit with people really looking out for each other."
Naude said power was still out in some areas throughout the region and Horizon contractors were working to restore it as quickly as possible.
"There are a number of slips in the region and trees down, which have caused road closures.
"Council contractors are working to clear these as quickly as possible.
"Please continue to take care and we ask that you avoid any unnecessary travel. As it's Good Friday, it's a great opportunity to spend time with family and friends at home," he said.
"Treat any downed power lines as live - please stay clear of any power lines that are on the ground or are low-hanging. Alert your local council if you see any sewage overflows, or trees down that you do not think are being responded to."
For more articles from this region, go to Rotorua Daily Post