Man charged over death of Steel & Tube boss

Nick Calavrias was a well-known businessman. Photo/File
Nick Calavrias was a well-known businessman. Photo/File

A young Auckland man has been charged over the death of Steel & Tube Holdings boss Nicholas Calavrias.

Police said tonight a 22-year-old had been charged with careless driving causing death and will be appearing in Taupo District Court on April 5.

Calavrias, 67, was struck and killed while cycling along State Highway One in Taupo near his holiday home on January 7.

Calavrias was a well-known businessman and was made an Officer of the New Zealand Order of Merit in 2011 for services to business.

Two other people have also been charged over seperate crashes in the same region.

A 29-year-old German man has been charged with three counts of careless driving causing Injury after a head-on crash on State Highway 47, Turangi, on the March 13.

He will also appear in the Taupo District Court on April 5.

And a 70-year-old Australian man has been charged on five counts of careless driving causing injury after a crash on State Highway One, the Desert Road, on March 5.

He will appear in the Rotorua District Court on April 19.

"These crashes have affected a number of people, whanau and families, and the wider community," said Senior Sergeant Fane Troy of the Taupo Area Road Policing Group.

"Police encourage all drivers and road users to be vigilant while travelling on our roads, to be aware of their surroundings and remain alert. Police cannot reiterate enough to wear your seatbelts, slow down, if tired have a break and if you have been drinking then do not drive,"

- NZ Herald

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf03 at 25 May 2017 00:21:28 Processing Time: 511ms