A man who subjected two girls to vicious assaults on two separate occasions has been jailed.
Binu Paul appeared in the Palmerston North District Court this afternoon on charges relating to two sexual attacks, one in Auckland and one in Palmerston North.
He was sentenced to 13 years' imprisonment.
The first offence was committed in July 2014 when Paul abducted a 16-year-old girl who was walking near the Glen Eden shops.
She was driven to a car park in New Lynn and was brutally raped and beaten before being driven to another location in Avondale, where she was once again physically and sexually assaulted.
She was eventually dumped in the main car park of Auckland Zoo in Western Springs.
The second incident occurred on November 10, 2015 in Palmerston North. Paul offered his victim a ride home but, once she was inside the vehicle, he brutally assaulted the victim for more than 30 minutes.
She managed to escape and was assisted by two members of the public.
Paul was eventually arrested and charged in December 2015.
Police released a statement this afternoon acknowledging the sentencing.
Detective Kelly Day said this had been a very difficult time for both victims and they hoped today's sentencing offered some degree of closure.
"The victims have both shown incredible strength and courage throughout this process and I thank them for their assistance. I would also like to acknowledge the two members of the public who came to the aid of the victim in the Palmerston North incident. Their assistance in this case was invaluable and greatly appreciated."
Sensible Sentencing Trust's Manawatu representative Scott Guthrie attended the hearing. He said the sentence was inadequate.
"He could've gone away for something like 25 years ... we think the fact he's eligible for parole after serving half his sentence is not good enough.
"The public needs to know he may have got 13 years but he can be out much sooner. It was horrific what he did - he's a repetitive sexual offender."
After the incident in 2014, police released a sketch of the offender in hopes the public might be able to identify him.
Detective Sergeant Scott Armstrong said in a statement at the time, that the attack had been prolonged and brutal and asked members of the public to think carefully about whether they recognised this man.
Paul left the Auckland area after the first attack, before coming to live in Woodville.