A Dunedin man who allegedly attacked a man with a machete, leaving the victim's hand almost severed, will appear in court next month.

The 33-year-old has been charged with wounding with intent to do grievous bodily harm and assaulting a female, and was due to appear before the Dunedin District Court this morning.

However, the case was administratively adjourned and the defendant granted interim name suppression.

He will remain in custody until the March hearing.

Advertisement

Clutha-Taieri area response manager Senior Sergeant Al Dickie said Dunedin and Balclutha police were called to the incident about midday on Tuesday after receiving reports a man's hand had been cut off with a machete.

The alleged attacker was on the lawn when police arrived, Snr Sgt Dickie said at the time.

"There were police dogs and they [police] were armed so he wasn't going to argue with that."

Police directed traffic past the property on Taieri Mouth Rd as the injured man was stretchered away.

Snr Sgt Dickie confirmed there was a woman inside the house at the time of the attack.

A St John spokesman said the patient was transported from the property by ambulance to a nearby location and then flown by rescue helicopter to Dunedin Hospital.