Campervan explosion seriously burns man

A man was treated for burns after his camper van exploded in Taupo. PHOTO/Google Maps
A man was treated for burns after his camper van exploded in Taupo. PHOTO/Google Maps

A man suffered serious burns after his campervan exploded in Taupo last night.

Around 10.40pm firefighters were called to the explosion at the Equestrian Centre on Rapids Rd, Fire Service northern shift manager Paul Raddem said.

"There was significant damage to the campervan, in fact it has blown the side of the campervan out. A gentleman has sustained burns at the sight."

Two fire crews responded and administered first aid until the ambulance arrived.

Raddem said a fire investigator is on the way but the source of the explosion could possibly be the gas cylinder.

St John ambulance confirmed a person was taken to Waikato Hospital in a serious condition.

- NZ Herald

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf03 at 23 May 2017 23:07:59 Processing Time: 453ms