Police have confirmed two shots struck a man who was killed in an armed callout in Whanganui on Friday.

Central District Area Commander Sue Schwalger said a post-mortem has confirmed Savey Kevin Sous, 32, sustained two bullet wounds - one in the torso and one in the shoulder.

Superintendent Schwalger said the investigation into the shooting by police has continued over the weekend.

It had earlier been reported the Upper Hutt man was shot three times, in the torso and arm. He was of Cambodian descent but had lived in New Zealand for about 20 years.

Advertisement

Schwalger confirmed there were three shots fired in the incident, by a single officer.

"As I advised in my previous statement, three shots were fired by an AOS officer during this incident," she said.

Police were called to the Mitchell St house at about 7pm on Friday after a report of family violence, Schwalger said.

A detailed forensic examination into the event was ongoing.

"This is focused on examining, documenting and recovering all relevant evidence from the scene, including where possible the location of the third bullet fired by police staff," Schwalger said.

Police are also continuing their area canvassing around Mitchell St.

We'd like to hear from anyone who was in the area of Mitchell St on Friday evening around 7pm, who has not already been spoken to by police, and ask that they call Whanganui Police on 06 349 0600.

The officers involved in the incident continue to receive the appropriate support and welfare.

Sous' family are also receiving ongoing support from police and victim support.