Nicholas Jones is a New Zealand Herald political reporter.

National Party has May court date next year over Eminem accusations of copyright infringement

The National Party has flatly rejected the allegation it used Eminem's track from the Eight Mile film for its political ad. Photos / Supplied
The National Party has flatly rejected the allegation it used Eminem's track from the Eight Mile film for its political ad. Photos / Supplied

The National Party has participated in a High Court teleconference today regarding legal action against it by American rapper Eminem.

The High Court in Wellington held a case management teleconference call today between the National Party and Eight Mile.

Eight Mile Style LLC and Martin Affiliated LLC, Detroit-based publishers of Eminem's copyrights, have accused National of using backing music to the rapper's song Lose Yourself without permission.

The National Party has flatly rejected the allegation it used the track from the Eight Mile film.

In September, the High Court confirmed a trial, to start on May 1 next year, to consider the copyright of music used in National's 2014 election campaign ads.

Asked about the case today, Prime Minister Bill English said he was unable to comment.

"That is a matter for the courts, they are dealing with it ... so I don't have any comment to make on it. I've had no contact with anyone related to the court case."

National Party president Peter Goodfellow has been contacted for comment.

WATCH: JOHN OLIVER DISCUSSES EMINEM V NATIONAL PARTY

In September 2014, spokesman for the publishers Joel Martin said Eminem was never approached for permission to use his work in National's rowing-themed election ads, which featured backing music similar to the riff of Lose Yourself.

"It is disappointing and sadly ironic that the political party responsible for championing the rights of music publishers in New Zealand by the introduction of the three strikes copyright reforms should itself have so little regard for copyright," Martin said at the time.

The National Party said the music came from an Australian-based production outfit and it had been used by others without complaint.

- NZ Herald

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf04 at 14 May 2017 00:43:36 Processing Time: 41ms