A 10-year-old boy was taken to hospital suffering firework burns on his face on Guy Fawkes night.
The St John ambulance service said the boy was taken to the Starship Children's Hospital in Auckland suffering a moderate injury.
The hospital said the boy was treated and discharged last night.
St John said a woman aged 31 was taken to Rotorua Hospital suffering moderate injuries - burnt hands.
The Fire Service received 402 calls overnight, answering a 111 call every 19 seconds on average at its peak.
Of those calls, 67 were "fireworks related". Many were for vegetation fires and bonfires.
Last night, Fire Service northern shift manager Jaron Phillips said between 6pm and 12.15am it had received 348 calls nationwide.
One call out was for a house in Papatoetoe, South Auckland, which was damaged by fireworks. Two occupants suffered smoke inhalation.
There were two tree fires in Auckland and fireworks were lit inside a NZ Post box in Rotorua.
And a 60sq m grass fire on Achilles Point in St Heliers saw the closure of Cliff Rd.
Last year, the Fire Service received 325 call-outs.
National adviser of fire risk management Todd O'Donoghue said most calls were for nuisance fires, such as bushes, trees and bins being set alight.
"These occupy our resources a lot.
"We recommend people attend public displays, which are safer and far better value for money."
The SPCA renewed its call for a ban on the public sale of fireworks this week.
The animal welfare organisation launched a survey on Wednesday, in conjunction with the Companion Animal Council, asking the public to share their animals' experiences with fireworks.
SPCA chief scientific officer Dr Arnja Dale said the survey had already received 1500 responses, and almost 90 per cent opposed the sale of fireworks to the public.
"We will publish the results and present them to Government to discuss feasible and realistic options."
Dale said the SPCA supports public displays but "we are way behind other countries" on the sale of fireworks for private use.
In Australia, the public can only legally buy fireworks in the Northern Territory.