The Wellington man who raped a 65-year-old woman could face preventive detention.
Peter Niko, 40, was given a first warning under three-strikes legislation by Judge Peter Hobbs when he appeared through an audio visual link at Wellington District Court this morning.

A charge of burglary was also withdrawn by Judge Hobbs.

Last month Niko pleaded guilty to seven charges of sexual violation, making the woman unconscious with intent to commit rape, threatening to kill her and detaining her without consent.

Niko pleaded not guilty to unlawfully entering her property.

Advertisement

The victim had been home alone when Niko knocked on her door claiming to be looking for his daughter just after 6am on June 17.

He subjected the woman to a prolonged sexual attack.

Police launched a manhunt after the assault, including an extensive door-to-door push for information.

Kapiti Mana area commander Paul Basham said the man was tracked down through "good old-fashioned police work".

When he appeared in court last month, his lawyer, Nick Chisnall, had a message from the man, which he said police were aware of.

"[He] has asked me to advise the court, and really this is for the benefit of the complainant, he has no wish in this case to prolong the matter any longer than necessary."

As Niko left the dock last month, he faced the public gallery and said: "I'm sorry guys, I'm sorry".

Niko was today remanded in custody until October when he will be sentenced in Wellington High Court.