A 44-year-old man has been taken to hospital after sustaining injuries at the Dunedin District Court this morning.
Emergency services were called to the court just before noon.
It was understood the man was injured in a bathroom in the court house.
"It's not clear whether he was appearing in court, or whether he was there for another reason," said a police spokeswoman.
Police took the man to Dunedin Hospital, she said.
The extent of his injuries were unclear, but police cars and an ambulance were outside the courthouse early this afternoon and it appeared the pavement was being washed down.
• Lifeline: 0800 543 354 (available 24/7)
• Suicide Crisis Helpline: 0508 828 865 (0508 TAUTOKO) (available 24/7)
• Youthline: 0800 376 633
• Kidsline: 0800 543 754 (available 24/7)
• Whatsup: 0800 942 8787 (1pm to 11pm)
• Depression helpline: 0800 111 757 (available 24/7)
If it is an emergency and you feel like you or someone else is at risk, call 111.