Five treated for smoke inhalation after baby bottles left on stove in Christchurch

Baby bottles left on a stovetop ended up smoking up a house. Photo / File
Baby bottles left on a stovetop ended up smoking up a house. Photo / File

Five people had to be treated for smoke inhalation after a pot being used to sterilise baby bottles was left on the stove.

Ambulance staff and fire crews were called to a house on Leverett Place in the Christchurch suburb of North New Brighton shortly before 6am today.

A southern fire communications spokesman said although there had been no fire, the house had become filled with smoke.

He acknowledged the situation could have been worse.

"There was a pot on the stove that had boiled dry. The people, they were boiling up baby bottles - being sterilised. It boiled dry and created a bit of smoke,'' the spokesman said.

Paramedics treated five people at the scene. It is not yet known whether anyone had been taken to hospital as a result.

- NZ Herald

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf04 at 25 May 2017 08:32:49 Processing Time: 448ms