Five-year-old burned by gas heater steadily recovering

The burned boy was transferred from Waikato Hospital to Middlemore Hospital on Saturday. Photo / Bruce Mercer
The burned boy was transferred from Waikato Hospital to Middlemore Hospital on Saturday. Photo / Bruce Mercer

A 5-year-old boy who was badly burned in an accident in Te Kuiti is steadily recovering in hospital.

The youngster suffered burns to 35 per cent of his body on Friday night when his shirt was set alight by a gas heater.

The boy's screams alerted his family who put him under a cold shower and called emergency services.

He was taken to Waikato Hospital in a critical condition, but transferred to Middlemore Hospital on Saturday.

He was being treated by burns specialists at the hospital's intensive care unit, and a Middlemore spokeswoman said he is now in a stable condition and is no longer critical.

- NZ Herald

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf05 at 26 Feb 2017 00:37:54 Processing Time: 429ms