Blaze breaks out in Auckland state housing

Photo / File
Photo / File

Two people were treated for smoke inhalation - and 12 people needed to find alternative accommodation - after a blaze broke out in a Housing New Zealand apartment bloke in South Auckland tonight.

Emergency Services were called to the Princes St apartments, in Otahuhu, at 7.45pm after a cooking fire had taken hold in a fourth floor apartment.

Fire Service Assistant Area Commander Graeme Quensell said the entire fourth floor was smoke-logged and all 48 apartments had to be evacuated.

Some of the residents had to be assisted by firefighters wearing breathing apparatuses.
About 10 fire appliances attended.

"We've got 12 occupants that are unable to return to their units at the moment due to the damage of some of the units and social welfare will be looking after them."

No one required hospitalisation.

- NZ Herald

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2016, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf05 at 05 Dec 2016 14:30:28 Processing Time: 883ms