14yo who hit road worker admits to dangerous driving

By Jimmy Ellingham

The 14-year-old was fleeing police when he ploughed into a road worker in Stokes Valley. Photo / File
The 14-year-old was fleeing police when he ploughed into a road worker in Stokes Valley. Photo / File

The teenager accused of ploughing into a Wellington road worker as he tried to evade police has admitted criminal wrongdoing over his hazardous hijinks.

A 14-year-old Upper Hutt boy, who cannot be named because of his age, was charged over an incident in Stokes Valley last month that left a road worker, aged in his 20s, hospitalised with serious injuries.

The worker, who was controlling traffic while others worked on power lines, was discharged a couple of days later.

In the Hutt Valley Youth Court today, the boy's lawyer Paul Reid said charges of failing to stop for police and dangerous driving were "not denied".

The boy does, however, deny a charge of failing to stop and provide assistance.

Police say the boy, who is too young to hold a driver's licence, hit the worker when fleeing police in the middle of the day on April 18.

The three occupants of the car, which police say belonged to "persons unknown", fled the scene and did not help the stricken worker, it's alleged.

The boy has a 6pm to 7am curfew at his father's house and Mr Reid said police checks there, up to four times a night, were disruptive on the family.

Mr Reid asked if that could be removed and if the boy's ban on visiting the suburb his mother lived in could be lifted.

"That [bail] condition effectively prevents him from going to his mother's house, which he would like to and she would want him to do from time to time."

It seemed as if the boy's life had "taken a positive turn for the better", Mr Reid said.

Police suggested the boy could be allowed to enter his mother's suburb if the visits were arranged and run past a police officer, but this prompted the boy's mother to say: "Don't worry about it. We'll just leave it as it is."

She said she didn't want to have to contact a police officer every time she wanted to see her son, and then walked out of the courtroom. She had been sitting next to the boy. His father also flanked him as he faced Judge Pat Grace.

The judge continued the boy's bail, the conditions of which mean he must live at his father's, not drive a vehicle, not associate with any prosecution witnesses and abide by the conditions of a care and protection plan.

The curfew was relaxed slightly, meaning the boy must not be away from his father's between 6pm and 7am unless he's with his mother or father.

The judge decided the boy's ban on entering the suburb where his mother lives will stay.

The boy next appears in June for a hearing over the charge he denies.

- NZ Herald

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2016, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf03 at 11 Dec 2016 14:31:55 Processing Time: 580ms