Rob Kidd is a NZME. News Service court reporter based in Auckland.

Grey Lynn peeping tom incident: More charges laid

The man was arrested and charged after he was caught allegedly peeping through a window on Sussex St last week. Photo: iStock
The man was arrested and charged after he was caught allegedly peeping through a window on Sussex St last week. Photo: iStock

A man arrested in connection with a "peeping tom" incident in Grey Lynn now faces a slew of similar charges but has denied the offending.

The 48-year-old initially appeared in Auckland District Court last week on charges of loitering and being in an enclosed yard on Sussex St.

Today police added 12 burglary charges and 12 counts of making an intimate visual recording, to which the man pleaded not guilty through his lawyer Martin Hislop.

Judge John Strettell granted the defendant interim name suppression despite no arguments being advanced by the lawyer.

It is alleged the man, who is listed in court documents as living in the area, targeted homes on several Grey Lynn streets, often visiting the same house more than once.

Police believe the offending began in November last year and continued regularly until earlier this month when he was arrested.

The intimate visual recordings allegedly started in February.

However, it may not be the end of the charges.

Mr Hislop said there was still an electronic device with which police were having "technical difficulties".

The man was arrested and charged after he was caught allegedly peeping through a window on Sussex St last week.

After an hour-long search, police found the defendant.

Police said detectives carried out a search warrant at a Kingsland address and seized numerous electronic items which were being forensically examined.

The Herald previously reported that on February 25 a Grey Lynn woman saw a forearm holding a cell phone hanging through her open window.

She ran over and hit the man's arm to make him go away.

The cellphone dropped to the floor and was later handed to police, who found images of several people on the phone.

It is unclear whether the case is connected the one before the court.

The 48-year-old was remanded in custody and will be back in court in July.

- NZ Herald

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2016, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf05 at 01 Oct 2016 10:38:09 Processing Time: 782ms