Kurt Bayer is a Herald reporter based in Christchurch

Two-year-old boy died after choking on food

Emergency services were called to the Wainoni Rd home in the city's east at around 4.30pm. Photo / Newstalk ZB
Emergency services were called to the Wainoni Rd home in the city's east at around 4.30pm. Photo / Newstalk ZB

A young Christchurch child has died after choking on his food.

NZME understands that the 2-year-old boy was eating his evening meal yesterday when the tragedy happened.

Emergency services were called to the Wainoni Rd home in the city's east at around 4.30pm.

St John sent an ambulance and two rapid response vehicles but the child died at the scene.

Police say they are supporting the family, who are originally from Afghanistan, and investigating the death of behalf of the coroner.

"It's an absolutely tragic accident," Detective Senior Sergeant Mike Ford said.

Locals told NZME that the child choked on a piece of carrot.

Police are expected to release more information this afternoon after post-mortem results are returned.

- NZ Herald

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf04 at 23 May 2017 08:23:52 Processing Time: 886ms