Firefighters are responding to reports of a shop on fire in Mount Maunganui.
The shop is located in the Central Parade shopping centre on Maunganui Rd.
A passerby told the Bay of Plenty Times the shop was a shoe store.
A reporter at the scene said firefighters were searching the store for the origin of the fire, which was believed to be in the roof space.
Smoke could be seen coming from the building.
It appeared to be affecting Shane Barr Shoe Repairs and the neighbouring bike shop.
For more articles from this region, go to Bay of Plenty Times