More arrests expected soon in Britomart brawls

Police investigating a series of violent brawls in downtown Auckland at the weekend say they expect to make arrests in coming days after an appeal for bystander cellphone footage.

Police were called to a number of street fights that erupted outside the ferry terminal in Quay St, the McDonald's at Britomart in Queen St, the intersection of Quay and Queen Sts and Fort St early on Sunday morning.

READ MORE:
Police disappointed but not surprised

Britomart brawl: 'Police need to take back control of the inner-city area' - councillor

An appeal was made earlier this week for cellphone footage of the fights after two men, aged 18 and 24 years, were seriously injured.

Police arrested two people on Sunday and charged them with disorderly behaviour following the fight outside McDonald's.

Detective Senior Sergeant Nina Pedersen said police were following a number of positive lines of inquiry after receiving a significant amount of footage from the public.

Most of the footage had now been analysed and police expected to make further arrests in the coming days.

Ms Pedersen said the footage has been invaluable to investigators.

"We would like to thank the public for providing us with this information as it has enabled us to identify more offenders who we are now working to locate and interview," she said.

Police were still keen to get more footage of the incident and encouraged people to post it to the Auckland Police Facebook page.

- NZ Herald

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf05 at 27 Apr 2017 15:41:35 Processing Time: 686ms