Fire destroyed a couple's newly renovated home and their rare sports car when it ripped through the two-storey house.

Owners Graham and Murielle Gill believe the blaze at the two-bedroom weatherboard home in Stanmore Bay, on the Whangaparaoa Peninsula, started in a laundry yesterday.

Mr Gill was leaving for work as a Ray White Real Estate Whangaparaoa sales manager when he saw smoke coming from under the deck, about 8.55am.

He tried to douse the fire with a hose before emergency services arrived.

Advertisement

"The worst thing was just standing there, unable to do anything, thinking 'It's beaten me'.

"The house it totally damaged. We can't go back in and get anything. We were left with the clothes that we were wearing."

The Gills had lived in the home for three years and had carried out extensive renovations.

Mr Gill's 1971 MG MGB, which he said would be "impossible to replace", was parked in the garage and was destroyed.

He also lost several thousand dollars worth of musical equipment, including five guitars.

Mr Gill is a type 1 diabetic and lost his medical equipment and medication.

Mrs Gill lost jewellery that had been passed down to her by relatives.

The house had no smoke alarms but the Gills were insured.

Fire safety officers are investigating.