Teina Pora released from prison

By Jimmy Ellingham

Teina Pora. Photo / Sarah Ivey
Teina Pora. Photo / Sarah Ivey

Convicted murderer Teina Pora has been released from prison on parole this morning, his lawyer has confirmed.

He's been in prison for more than two decades for the rape and murder of Susan Burdett, something he says he falsely confessed to.

Pora is due to have his case reviewed by the Privy Council on November 4 and 5 this year.

Pora was granted parole late last month, having earlier been denied bail by the High Court at Auckland.

That application was made ahead of a scheduled Privy Council hearing in London later this year, where Pora will appeal against his convictions for the rape and murder of Auckland woman Susan Burdett.

Pora's lawyer Jonathan Krebs said Pora was released today, but he was unable to say much more because of a parole condition that forbids Pora having any direct or indirect contact with the media.

"I just hope that the media and everybody else leaves him alone and allows him to get on with the process of reintegration into the community after 21 years.''

At his first trial in 1994, Pora, now 38, was found guilty of the murder of Ms Burdett, who was beaten with a softball bat in the bedroom of her south Auckland home in 1992. Pora has since spent about 21 year behind bars.

He had confessed to police but a retrial was ordered as doubts began to emerge about his involvement. After that first trial, serial rapist Malcolm Rewa was convicted for raping Ms Burdett.

His DNA was found at the scene and at Pora's re-trial in 2000 the Crown argued the two acted together. Pora was again found guilty but has now been granted leave to appeal against the convictions.

- APNZ

© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf05 at 30 Dec 2014 02:12:30 Processing Time: 663ms