Young boy recovering after swallowing pin

By -
Add a comment

A 6-year-old boy flown to hospital in a serious condition after swallowing a small tack or drawing pin is this afternoon in a stable condition.

The Little Waihi boy was taken into an operating theatre at Tauranga Hospital last night. The tack or pin had lodged in his throat, endangering his airway.

After being stabilised by a Waikato Intensive Care Unit retrieval team, he was flown by Waikato Westpac Rescue Helicopter to Waikato Hospital for further treatment.

A Waikato Hospital spokeswoman said the boy was now stable in a ward.

For more articles from this region, go to

Have your say

We aim to have healthy debate. But we won't publish comments that abuse others. View commenting guidelines.

1200 characters left

© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on red akl_n4 at 25 Jul 2014 14:46:47 Processing Time: 672ms