Five people charged with the aggravated robbery of the two German tourists who were savagely bashed while camping near a skate park in Whakatane appeared in Whakatane District Court this morning for a bail hearing.
Three of the four males and one female were remanded into the custody of Child Youth and Family.
One adult was remanded in custody and the other was bailed with strict conditions.
They will all reappear on January 17 in Whakatane District Court.
The tourists, a 19-year-old man and an 18-year-old woman were freedom camping when they were beaten with wooden bats early last Thursday.
They suffered cuts and bruises and the man lost his front teeth. The woman also suffered facial injuries and a fractured arm.
They were now spending time in the Bay of Plenty with friends, police said yesterday.
"This young couple have showed tremendous fortitude to bounce back from this terrible incident, and when we spoke to them today they said they were happy that the whole of New Zealand had given them so much support,'' Detective Senior Sergeant Greg Standen said.
"They were overwhelmed by the generosity shown by New Zealanders''.
More than 200 emails of support and kind wishes, including offers of gifts, travel and accommodation, had been received through the Victim Support network, Mr Standen said.