Father of nine accused of sex attack

By -
File photo / NZ Herald
File photo / NZ Herald

A father of nine has had name suppression lifted after appearing in court charged with the sexual assault of an elderly Auckland woman.

Dwayne Lucky Oti, 39, appeared in Manukau District Court yesterday facing burglary and assault with intent to commit sexual violation charges, in connection with the incident.

He had been granted interim name suppression in order to tell his partner and nine children of the charges.

Oti was arrested after a 77-year-old Papatoetoe woman woke up to a man sexually assaulting her about 6.30am on Sunday.

She activated a St John medical alarm and the man fled.

Neighbours saw a man leave the house and thought he was acting suspiciously, Counties Manukau Detective Inspector Jim Gallagher said.

The attacker was followed by neighbours, and police were directed to an address within a kilometre or so of the victim's home.

A man was found and arrested soon afterwards.

While the elderly woman did not suffer any extensive physical injuries in the attack, the emotional impact of the attack was "hugely significant'', Mr Gallagher said.

For more articles from this region, go to

© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on red akl_n1 at 02 Sep 2014 08:01:07 Processing Time: 478ms