A central Wellington street has reopened after it was closed amid fears a quake-damaged lift shaft could tumble in an aftershock.
The council closed Luke's Lane, between Manners St and Taranaki St, after engineers discovered the lift shaft was damaged in the magnitude 6.5 earthquake on Sunday, July 21.
Wellington City Council spokesman Richard Maclean said the street was reopened this morning following repair and stabilisation work.
He said yesterday that epoxy had been used to strengthen some of the bolted fastenings which were holding the lift shaft to the adjacent James Smith parking building.
Central New Zealand was shaken by more aftershocks overnight and this morning, including a moderate magnitude 4.1 tremor at 9.44pm yesterday, but most were unnoticeable according to the GeoNet website.