Three fire engines were called out to an Onehunga school this afternoon after reports of a mercury scare.

Three trucks responded to the 12.45pm call that a thermometer had broken at Golden Grove school in Onehunga.

"A small amount of mercury from a school thermometer slipped out," said fire services spokesman Steve Smith.

The decontamination was now complete, but one truck was remaining on site to make sure there were no further problems, he said.

Advertisement

No medical attention was needed.

- nzherald.co.nz