'Lovely girl' dies from allergic reaction to bee sting

File photo / NZ Herald
File photo / NZ Herald

A teenage girl stung by a bee has died from an allergic reaction.

Eva Wilson, 14, is believed to have accidentally stood on the bee on the deck of her family's home at Takaka, Golden Bay on Friday afternoon.

Family friend Peter Blasdale said Eva's allergy to bees was known.

She had "life-threatening injuries" when she was flown by the Nelson Marlborough Rescue Helicopter to Wellington Hospital about 6.10pm on Friday.

Mr Blasdale said she died on Saturday evening at the hospital.

Her family was still coming to terms with Eva's death and had asked for privacy, Mr Blasdale said.

"She was a lovely girl, just a really happy, lovely girl," he said.

The rescue helicopter said Eva was treated at the scene by a doctor and St John Ambulance.

An onboard intensive care paramedic treated Eva before she arrived at the hospital for specialist emergency medical attention.


Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter


© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf03 at 24 May 2017 06:19:51 Processing Time: 421ms