Fire crews from across the region have rushed to fight a large blaze in a community centre at Upper Moutere in Nelson.
Twelve fire trucks were at the Moutere Hills Community Centre and Sports Complex, which was "well ablaze when the first appliance arrived ... at 8.25am", fire service southern communications shift manager Brent Dunn said.
The fire is believed to have started in a kitchen area of the single-storey complex.
Mr Dunn said there had been no reports of anybody being injured as a result of the fire.
He said there were no buildings or vegetation near the building to spark fears the fire will spread.