Timaru man accused of abducting boy named

By Tom O'Connor

Police questioned motorists about the alleged abduction in Timaru.  Photo / 3 News
Police questioned motorists about the alleged abduction in Timaru. Photo / 3 News

Police have credited the public spirit for the quick arrest of the man charged with abducting and wounding a nine-year-old Timaru boy on November 15.

Name suppression for 26-year-old Timaru man Matthew John Krouse was lifted in the District Court at Timaru today.

Speaking after the court hearing, prosecutor Sergeant Mylen Hamilton said the quick arrest of the alleged offender was the result of good public support. "When kids are involved in these offences people just rally around to help us. Almost everyone is a parent or a grandparent and nobody holds back with information'', he said.

Judge Joanna Maze lifted the interim name suppression order following the withdrawal of police opposition. She said the interim suppression order, imposed when Krouse first appeared on November 21, had been made to protect the complainant. She had been assured by police that the people responsible for the care of the complainant were no longer concerned about the release of the defendant's name.

The judge also noted that the suppression order had been breached by social media but not by reputable representatives of the news media. Suppression of the complainant's identity remains in force.

The charges relate to discovery of the distressed nine-year-old at Holme Station Bridge, about 15 kilometres from Timaru, roughly an hour and a half after he left his school for home at 3pm.

Krouse sat impassively in the dock during his brief court appearance.

He was remanded in custody for a post committal conference on February 12.

- APNZ

© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf03 at 19 Dec 2014 01:14:54 Processing Time: 648ms