A 62-year-old man charged in relation to the death of his 78-year-old neighbour who attacked him with a crowbar will go to trial.
Emanu Toafiga is charged with the manslaughter of Leslie Otto, who died nine days after being admitted to hospital in April this year.
Toafiga appeared at the High Court at Auckland this morning where his lawyer Steve Cullen told the court that his client was pleading not guilty to the charge.
Mr Cullen has earlier told the court that Toafiga was attacked from behind by Mr Otto who had a crowbar.
He said Toafiga took the crowbar off Mr Otto before allegedly striking the elderly man.
Mr Cullen said Mr Otto was taken to hospital but refused treatment, showed signs of dementia and alcohol withdrawal, and removed medical tubes before he died of pneumonia.
Mr Cullen told the court he was waiting for a pathologist's report and has employed a private investigator.
Judge Pamela Andrews remanded Toafiga on bail until his trial in July next year, which is expected to take eight days.
The Herald on Sunday has previously reported that both men lived in a block of units in the Auckland suburb of Waterview.