Blanket suppression details on an arrest from the Rae Portman murder investigation were lifted today, although name suppression of the accused remains in place.
It can now be reported that a 35-year-old south Auckland man has been charged with kidnapping Portman on June 20 or 21.
Portman's body was found on an Ardmore farm earlier this month, four months after her family reported her missing. The 33-year-old was four months pregnant.
The man who appeared in court today was arrested in September, before her body was found, but all details of the arrest were previously suppressed.
In the Papakura District Court this morning, Judge Claire Ryan lifted some of the suppression. Police and defence counsel applied for continued name suppression to protect the man and his family.
Judge Ryan said there was a very real risk to the accused and his family.
"There are other people in this investigation of interest to police and threats have been made which may influence the defendant and his family by way of violence," she said. "There are still people to be spoken to in this investigation."
Media were permitted to attend this morning's hearing, which was held in a court closed to the public. The accused was remanded - though details of the remand conditions were also suppressed - until November 22.
Meanwhile, another 32-year-old man from Hamilton, who also has name suppression, has also been charged with kidnapping Portman and is scheduled back in court in December.
No one has yet been charged with Portman's murder.By Joanne Carroll of Herald on Sunday