The little Martinborough girl who was severely burnt in September was home in time to spend the long weekend with her family.
Arna Hopkins, 3, was flown to Auckland's Middlemore Hospital in September after she tried to light a candle in memory of her twin sister.
Her mother Penny stayed at the hospital while father Regan took care of siblings Seb, 4, and Claudia, 6.
Her uncle and family spokesman Kane Hopkins told the Times-Age Arna was moved to Hutt Hospital on Wednesday, before getting the go-ahead to go home on Friday morning.
Her siblings were excited to see her.
"They were so happy when they got home from school to find Arna was home," he said.
"It was just so nice for them and they just made a complete fuss of her."
But Arna's recovery was still expected to take years.
Mr Hopkins said home was the best place for her as she re-learns to do basic things like walk and talk as a result of being in bed for seven weeks.
"Doing those things that kids do is just perfect for Arna's recovery," he said.
"The couple of days she's been home she has already made some very good advances."
Mr Hopkins said more surgery was on the cards to help take care of some of her scars.
"It's always been a busy little household and they are just trying to bring Arna back into that ... they're having to do a lot of management on her scarring which is a lot of massage," he said.
"It's really painful for Arna and she's not enjoying it a lot but it's part of her road to recovery."
There will be more operations for Arna in the future although it was still uncertain when these would be.
For more articles from this region, go to WAIRARAPA TIMES-AGE