Four crew from a fishing trawler that caught fire off the Canterbury coast yesterday have been taken to hospital after inhaling noxious gases.
The four inhaled the gases while removing frozen fish from the charred freezers of the Talley's-owned Amaltal Columbia trawler in Lyttelton today.
A fireman who was on board still battling the blaze today was also injured when he fell down a ladder.
"There's been a few things happening at the boat today - other than the fire yesterday'', a St John ambulance spokesman said.
St John was called out to treat two male crewmen around midday today.
They were treated at the scene, but St John was called back two hours later to reassess the first two patients, and two more who had fallen to the suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.
All four were taken to Christchurch Hospital for further assessment, the spokesman said.
An investigation into what started the blaze in the meal hold of the Nelson-based factory trawler at 5.24am yesterday is ongoing.
It was towed back into port last night after all 43 crew abandoned ship.
- APNZBy Kurt Bayer @KurtBayerAPNZ Email Kurt