Police have described the actions of a Dunedin man as "stupid" after he was caught huffing from a stolen LPG bottle, just two months after two Mosgiel teenagers were seriously injured in an explosion while doing the same thing.
Acting Sergeant Murray Hewitson of Balclutha police said a 9kg LPG bottle was reported stolen from a caravan parked in a driveway in Milton on Sunday.
While searching the area, police found a man "huffing" - inhaling gas - from the stolen gas bottle.
"It was a pretty stupid thing to do considering what happened to those boys in Dunedin," Mr Hewitson said.
A 20-year-old Dunedin man was charged with theft and will appear in court at a later date.
In July two Mosgiel teenagers suffered critical injuries when an LPG exploded.
The blast blew tiles off the roof, displaced walls, smashed windows and sent debris flying across the street.
A third bottle exploded minutes later with such force it was found embedded in the wall.
Chief Coroner Judge Neil MacLean has since launched a review into butane huffing.
Last month a 17-year-old girl died at a park in Christchurch after huffing butane gas from cans with her friends.