The serial paedophile whose case has been most compared to the Beast of Blenheim is back in court for breaching strict supervision conditions while living on prison property.
The timing of Lloyd Alexander McIntosh's alleged breach will ramp up the pressure in Wanganui, where Stewart Murray Wilson, the man tagged as the Beast of Blenheim, is due to be released in days under similar restrictions as McIntosh has endured.
Wilson is in Whanganui Prison at Kaitoke after being transferred from the South Island, ahead of his parole.
Tensions around the country are mounting.
In Turangi, a sex offender has been burned out of his home by a fearful community.
In Christchurch, McIntosh has been living in a lodge on the grounds of the Men's Prison since his release from jail in 2005, where he served time for offences including the rape of a 23-month-old baby and a 6-year-old, and assaulting an intellectually disabled woman.
McIntosh will appear in the Christchurch District Court tomorrow for the alleged breach on April 17.
A Corrections spokeswoman said the charge was over allegedly breaking the rules of extended supervision and described it as "behaviour considered to be not pro-social".
"It was not sexual and is not considered to be reoffending. We are unable to comment further on this offender at this time as there are currently court charges pending ," she said. McIntosh has not been recalled to prison and this is the first alleged breach of his conditions since he was released in 2005.
The conditions include that he must be accompanied in public and a ban on internet use. He cannot have contact with anyone aged under 16 unless supervised, get a job without written consent of the probation officer, or have contact with victims.
Wilson's conditions are similar and he too will be housed on prison grounds.
McIntosh's supervision has cost the taxpayer more than $1 million. Corrections say it cost $173,297.41 in the 12 months to June alone.
He is due to finish his supervision in 2015 when he will be released to live in the community without monitoring. Last year, his conditions were changed to extend his curfew.
A Parole Board decision on that variation said his probation officer considered McIntosh was ready to make progress towards reintegration.
"He has been under the order for over six years and is motivated to engage in external activities such as seeking employment and canvassing study opportunities. These initiatives are regarded as an important aspect of positive pro-social change," it said.
He is now allowed to leave his house between 8.30am and 7pm daily accompanied by staff. He is allowed to stay on his own at night but he is monitored by an electronic bracelet which sets off an alarm if he crosses the house's boundary.
The board also said McIntosh had a "real and ongoing risk" of reoffending.
When he appeared before the board for a review in 2008 he was "doing well".
"According to his probation officer, Mr McIntosh is doing well and trying really hard but, in her view, there is still much work to be done. A similar report comes from (withheld) who says that there have been struggles and ups and downs as far as Mr McIntosh is concerned but he is managing well. We sense that both are pleased with his progress. For his part, Mr McIntosh has a number of frustrations and he has expressed those to us but he has also accepted that he obviously is doing well," a report at the time said.
Templeton Residents Association secretary Val Kenyon said the community held a public meeting when it was first announced McIntosh was moving to the area. "There were a lot of people, especially people with young children, who were worried about him living here. We have heard nothing since so obviously he has not caused any problems or I'm sure we would have heard."