Workers on court-imposed community service helped save a house from burning down in Kawakawa.
They were re-sowing the Kawakawa Bowling Club greens last Saturday when they saw smoke coming from a house on Waiomio Road, raising the alarm then helping the Kawakawa Fire Brigade roll hoses from the nearest hydrant across a bridge, along the railway tracks and past the bowling club to the house.
Chief Fire Officer Wayne Martin said the workers had done an excellent job, their early raising of the alarmsaw damage confined to a lounge wall and the roof cavity.
The fire is believed to have been deliberately lit, and is being investigated by the Kaikohe CIB.
- The Northland Age