A man who received burns in a Hastings public toilet in February has died from his injuries.
Cafe Sutto workers and a passing cyclist struggled to free the screaming man after the toilet he was in was engulfed in flames on February 19.
The workers said they heard a "huge explosion like a bomb" from the King St North toilet about 8.30am. They struggled to open the self-locking door until a second explosion bent the central panel holding it in place.
With a passing cyclist they pulled the man from the toilet and poured buckets of cold water over him. Two cigarette lighters were found beside a jerry can inside the toilet.
Emergency services said they smelled petrol and the 41-year-old man received extensive burns.
He was taken to Hawke's Bay Hospital where he was put into an induced coma.
That night he was transferred to Middlemore Hospital in Auckland where his condition at first improved but then deteriorated and he has since died.
The matter had been referred to the coroner.
For more articles from this region, go to Hawkes Bay Today