A 12-year-old boy has been found dead in Christchurch after he was with a group of youths sniffing butane.

Police were called to a car park in New Brighton by ambulance staff about 11.20pm.

Attempts to resuscitate the boy were unsuccessful and he died at the scene.

Police said initial inquiries indicated the boy had been with a group of young people who had been sniffing butane from a canister.


Nobody else was being sought in connection to the death, which has been referred to the coroner.

A post mortem exam was expected to be carried out on Monday.

Police said while the cause of death was yet to be confirmed, the incident highlighted the dangers of people sniffing butane - or "huffing" as the practice is known.

The investigation would be look into the sale of the butane to the youths.

The boy's name will not be released until next of kin have been informed.