A farm worker has died after he was electrocuted in a horrific accident on a rural property near Kaikoura.
The man, 39, was killed by a power line that had come down from a power pole on the farm, said police.
His wife is understood to have also been seriously injured in the accident.
Emergency services were called to the address on Inland Kaikoura Rd, west of the coastal town at 10.20am.
Neighbours reported hearing ambulance and fire services rushing to the property where the couple lived.
"The husband got killed and the wife is fighting for her life in hospital. They are local people," said one man, who did not wish to be named.
The property is owned by Brian Steere, who does not live at the address.
A Christchurch-based family member of Mr Steere's confirmed the accident had taken place and that a couple had been living at the property and working on the farm.