Consumers are being warned not to take Miracle Mineral Solution products, also known as Miracle Mineral Supplement (MMS), as they can cause serious harm to health.
Medicines safety authority Medsafe said today the products, when used as directed, produced an industrial bleach that could cause serious harm to health leading to nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea and symptoms of severe dehydration.
The Food Standards Authority in Britain warned the British public against the use of Miracle Mineral Solution last year followed by similar warnings from the Food and Drug Administration in the United States and Health Canada in Canada about the use of the products.
"We have communicated with the company in the past to require them to cease making claims that their products are an effective treatment for several serious diseases."
The products instruct consumers to mix the 28 per cent sodium chlorite solution with an acid such as citric acid. This mixture produces chlorine dioxide, a potent bleach used for stripping textiles and industrial water treatment.
"High oral doses of this bleach, such as those recommended in the labelling, can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea and symptoms of severe dehydration," Medsafe said.
MMS is distributed on internet sites and online auctions by many independent distributors. internet claims for these products include the treatment of many unrelated diseases, including HIV, hepatitis, acne, cancer and other conditions.
In New Zealand, MMS was sold as a mineral supplement and had not been assessed for quality, safety and effectiveness and not granted approval for sale as a medicine, Medsafe said.
Medsafe was continuing its investigations and said it supported the recommendations made by authorities in Britain, the United States and Canada that consumers who had MMS should stop using it immediately and throw it away.
"Consumers who have experienced any negative effects from MMS should consult a healthcare professional as soon as possible."