Dunedin Hospital remains under lockdown after another seven cases of the gastro infection norovirus were reported in the past 24 hours.
Managers at Dunedin Hospital met this morning to decide whether to end the lockdown imposed on Saturday because of the outbreak.
Over the past three weeks, 50 patients and staff have been diagnosed with norovirus, which can cause stomach cramps, vomiting and diarrhoea.
Only hospital personnel bearing identification badges are allowed access to the main wards.
Dunedin Hospital operations manager Megan Boivin (crct) told NZPA today another seven cases had been reported in the past 24 hours, forcing lockdown to continue.
This meant visitors were allowed into the hospital in exceptional circumstances, she said.
"There is pressure on the hospital but we are managing the best we can."
The continuation of the lockdown meant all outpatient appointments, including x-rays, scheduled for tomorrow had been cancelled, she said.
Staff were in the process of contacting all people affected.
Two wards are closed but the emergency department remains open.