The Auckland City Council has approved a controversial topless porn parade down Queen St.
Last year the council refused to grant a permit for the annual Boobs on Bikes parade but said it was legal anyway.
The event is a lead-up to the annual Erotica Expo, organised by pornographer and Auckland mayoral candidate Steve Crow.
The police had also said the parade could go ahead because in this day and age it was not indecent.
However, this year organisers have been granted a permit.
Council chief executive David Rankin was unavailable for comment last night about why the council had changed its mind.
Parade organiser Sandy Watts said she had met council staff on several occasions to discuss the parade and was happy with the result.
"We're pleased that the obvious public approval of a fun event like ours has resulted in a much more collaborative approach from the council this year," she said. "They even wished us every success with our activity on the permit."
Last year Auckland Mayor Dick Hubbard called the parade "morally repugnant" and said he was keen to review the bylaw to stop any more topless parades down Queen St.
Boobs on Bikes last year attracted tens of thousands of onlookers.
It featured between 30 and 50 topless porn stars in cars and on the back of motorbikes.
The parade, which commences at midday on Wednesday, will start from Upper Queen St, move on to Wellesley St, along Albert St and finish on Quay St.